Author Topic: My ancestors were Austrians !.....  (Read 2671 times)

granny moss

My ancestors were Austrians !.....
« on: Apr 01, 2016, 04:56:48 PM »
Hi ! Yes, my ancestors were Austrian.  Lots of Barons and Counts etc..... ::) When Napoleon invaded the land, he took their lands etc and gave it to his Generals etc etc....In 1870, the said borderland was given by Austria, to Italy. In 1970, I was in Italy during the celebrations. My grandparents were
austrians and they spoke the language. I was born italian,and I can trace my lineage back to the 12 century.My branch of the family originated from Istria, which was also austrian, but is now Croatia on the Adriatic...and so history changes many things !......gm x

Scrumpy

Re: My ancestors were Austrians !.....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
Your family sounds very interesting granny moss.. I know very little about my families.. Much of my family where around the Golders Green..Bethnal Green area.. Some worked on the barrows in the markets later having shops in the EastEnd area.. They are all gone now.. I didn't know my father.. My mother was brought up in an orphanage ..Her brothers were sent from the orphanage to live in Canada.. One became a Cannon in the Church..  I have a mental picture of an old man sitting me on his knee and singing  "Dolly Grey" to me..  I still can remember many of the words.. The old man was my grandfather.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Jedder

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
My earliest ancestors were of Manx,Scottish --never met em though :)
jed

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2016, 09:01:15 PM »
Yes, Scrumpy. I found reading the story of their lives, quite intersting. I imagine they were hard working people. They had land and a pair of castles. But they were Medieval. Hard workers on their land. Some of them were Jurisprundents, dedicated lawyers, and given titles etc, by the queen of Austria, also some titles from Rome. They seem to me they were really dedicated to their jobs. Amazing that my father's mother, had the same name and surname of the first granny I can find, and she married a man with the exact name and surname as my recent grand father. Quite uncanning....All their story is written in italian, of course, and I never seem to find the time to translate it for my daughter......Time goes so fast ! And I am getting ready to go to bed !....So I say : Goodnight to all !
gm x

Alfred

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2016, 09:28:56 PM »
Hello Scrumpy,

have you ever tried ancestry. if  you have  then to begin with. you start with your self and your mothers full name and where you were born,
the (births ) deaths and marriages section but look at births, first
you will be listed as well as your mother ,

then look at the birth deaths and (marriage section ) which will show where your parents were married .at that point you could then look at the census,
they start every ten years  starting with the 1841.census, 1851/1861 /every ten years the last one at the moment is 1911/ next one will be 1921.
so start with the 1911.one,it should reveal details

(then go to the census for 1911 ) It should tell you where your parents lived, what his occupation was, and so on, and who else was living there.

then from  either his information, or your mothers  either way you'll be able to see how many brother and sister he had and the same for your mother,
by keeping on probing working back wards you should be able to see where they were born and again who their parent s were, and where they were married,  so its an on going thing,

its very interesting as it a constant searching and probing, again
working backwards all the time, once you get the hang of it, who knows you might get some very nice surprises, it you do then I bet your get hooked on ancestry its great fun finding out where you came from, but also expect the un expected too,
at least you'll find out I hope and fill in some of the blanks, like many of us have done already,

ill tell you one thing my father died very young killed during the war in England he was a dispatch rider, and the lorry which ran over him was an army lorry my mother remarried but she never told me anything about him
it was ancestry that I had joined, to which  I found out during my research that my father had five sisters, and five other brothers,  if it wasn't for this I would now still be in the dark , of course iv found mountains  over the years.
about him and his family.

that is why I say expect the unexpected as you never know what you might find,

good luck , 

Alf,

Alfred

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
Hello Scrumpy ,

me again you could research about your grand father thats if you know his full name , address, and the year he was born also where he lived, and even the same for your grand mother simply by going to the births deaths and marriages,

Alf,.

Jedder

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
At present there is an emergency census available for 1939 due to the war --i have a few references i think it is with find my past :)
jed

granny moss

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2016, 07:08:55 PM »
Granny moss is back...I found the picture of the Crest and the motto is : Honesty and Work.....There, I said that they were hard working folks !.....No lazy like me ! ! !.....I  bet that they did not live as long as I have !......gm x

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2016, 07:36:02 PM »
GM. If you google 'heraldic mottos + Austria' and quote it, there'll be a record of them and possibly some sort of genealogy, I would think..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

em

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:37:34 PM »
My father (born 1890) would be 132 years old tomorrow.His father (my grandfather,born1840) would be 182 this year.Apparently they discussed the French Revolution as if it were yesterday.It was much closer to them than WW2 is to us.It took months for the news to reach the remote West Coast of Ireland.

Sciatico

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:30:24 PM »
(((((  GRANNY MOSS  )))))

Just noticed you say your family is from Istria. My Grandfather and family was from Pola, so we might be distantly related!

Jacqueline

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2022, 11:17:46 AM »
Although my family were pretty lowly I have managed to find them all on Ancestry and Record Offices over the years.  After years of searching I have actually tracked down my grandfather who we knew nothing about at all. 

I do feel sorry for any future geneologist, it will be so difficult to find your family when people are not married, no fathers on Birth Certificates.  What a state of affairs.